It’s happening. Slowly, but surely, more and more Vancouver theatre companies are choosing to get online with Web 2.0 technology. Simon Ogden and I have been preaching this gospel for a long time: it’s not enough to just have a website any more. In order to really extend your reach to a new audience, you need to embrace new technology and get a blog, a facebook page, or a twitter account.
In an industry that is chronically underfunded and overworked, and tends to be a bit afraid of online innovations, it hasn’t been easy to convince people that they need to join the Web 2.0 revolution. But we’ve managed to convince a few.
- Green Thumb Theatre – Green Thumb is a local company that specializes in theatre for young audiences.
- Lois in La La Land – Lois is a stage manager at Pacific Theatre, and writes a good blog.
- Pi Theatre – The blog of Pi Theatre.
- PuShing It – Blog for the PuSH Festival, currently on.
- The Next Stage – Simon Ogden is the number one Theatre blogger in Vancouver.
- Soul Food – Ron Reed is the AD at Pacific Theatre, and I think, may be Vancouver’s first Theatre blogger.
- The Theatre Department of UBC – written by the ever-on-the-technical-edge Deb Pickman.
How about you? Interested in starting a blog and reaching out to your audience? Come on in, the water’s great!
If I’ve missed any, please post the feed URL in the comments section below.